Saturday, September 27, 2014

Militrary Pagan Group Ponderings




Its been a little over a month since I've arrived here and since then there hasn't been much going on in way of religious activity, ritual wise I mean. However, a few days ago I decided to go over to the chaplain office and discuss the possibility of performing rituals in one of their rooms, which was greeted better than I anticipated to be quite honest. Since I've decided to try and perform rituals here I'll need to start gathering materials necessary as well as try and branch out my practice so that I'll be more educated on ritual formats that I have avoided altogether during previous years of worshipping. With my oath renewal ritual about to end in a few months (more of that in another post) I'll soon be able to wear my pentagram necklace as well as perform said rituals.

However, an even more pressing thing has entered my mind as of late, and that concerns the possibility of having a Pagan group on base, which is a thought I've had since before joining. It turns out that there are some Pagans here and from the information I've been able to gather they seem a bit distant as far as cohesion goes, which is all fine and dandy considering we all have jobs to do. The thing is that I would love to get all the Pagans and spiritualists together for a meeting so that we would be able to get to know each other and actually be able to grow from each others' beliefs and views. I don't know if it will work since there's a process that must be done and I already know that there will be hoops to jump through since there is no Pagan chaplain for one and second we'd have to start from scratch. I already know that I would have to jinn up interest as well as a dedicated list of people who want to come every meeting, have a list of materials we would need and show that there is a need for a group on base.

Gathering the information necessary to present to the higher ups is no problem, not much more for me than explaining what the faith is and how there isn't much else in terms of religious support specific to our tradition around since that is an unfortunate truth of living in a terribly remote and small city. The difficult part I find is that they would need a leader for the group, something that I'm not all too inclined to be since I just want others to be supported and have people to speak with from a religious sense if they're having troubles. If not that then it would probably be good to have a simple study group here so that I could learn about what other people believe and see if there were any practices or the like that I could perhaps use in my own faith. A good exchange of ideas, especially with a majority being Asatru, a faith that I know little of save for the warrior aspect, beside that I'm quite clueless, so it could be a good idea.

Throughout my holding of the faith I really haven't been given the opportunity to speak to a group of Pagans in any meaningful way, so in many respects I'm very excited to lay eyes on another I know that I'm looking at a religious brother of mine. For now I'm still stuck in the thoughts phase since I'm unsure how serious I want to make this. I have as much time as I choose to give myself, but for now I know without a doubt that I absolutely need to start working on my own faith as soon as the time comes to renew my vows early next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment