Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Dealing With Fundies

Ah fundies, my favorite type of 'Christian', what all can I say about them? Bigot? Militant false prophets of their faith? People who claim to be of their Lord yet betray his teachings of love and compassion for all? All these adjectives and more can be used to describe their ignorance and seeming hatred of other faiths. Missionaries are just as bad, even worse considering that they outrightly try to get others to change their faith in place of Christianity. Though I detest them with a passion, I must admit that sometimes its hard to help my delight when one decides to come to me. Though it doesn't happen on a daily basis, I'm certain that it will now with me donning my pentagram in full public view.

First, let me discuss fundies in the public sphere then I'll get serious by talking about how to deal with them when they're in your own family. But let's have some fun first!

What puts the fun in fundies? Well, the nonabbreviated form is fundamentalists, which are Christians that hold to the very roots of Christianity. The fun part for me are their worthless attempts to get me to convert. Like, after FIVE years of being Pagan you honestly believe that you can get me to change my faith with a snap of your fingers?? I laugh at that, and every attempt they actually make...how sad.

In any case, it hasn't always been fun, I recall several attmepts I made to try and get some facebook Christian groups to understand who we were and to try and foster peace. This was back when I thought it could actually work, now I just leave it alone, but it ended terribly. Horrible arguments and outrageous claims of me being of 'satan' and trying to spread his teachings were shouted from the rooftops. Eventually and reluctantly I left, understanding that perhaps my efforts of understanding were as fruitless as their hopes to convert me. I've even had a special ex-best friend try to convert me, it was a long argument, but in the end we stopped talking. This is why I say to others to not show their faith publically unless they know they can take the issues that will inevitably arise because of it. It can get tiring, but over time your skin thickens and your resolve to be at peace with yourself becomes impenetrable.

So let's say that your in a mall shopping with friends, you're all wearing your various pagan symbols when a fundies dares to come to you guys talking about his God's disapproval of your actions. The usual response is to just pass him off, which works for the most part unless you have one of those persistent types. Now if all else fails get help, but if the situation isn't that dire and you don't feel threatened, it can be tempting to start having fun with him. I'm no authority to Paganism in any respect except when it comes to my own spirituality and actions, but its not always good to be condescending to the butt. Think about it, you're in a public sphere with dozens of people watching the interaction. Do you really want to be an ass to him and risk the surrounding crowd to have a negative impression of Pagans? Its your choice in the end, but at least think about the negative impact your actions can have when they see another Pagan somewhere down the road.

Unfortunately people generalize that way, taking the actions of one to be the actions of all. Think about how Muslims are treated in This country by a lot of citizens just because they are grouped With the false Muslims who perpetrated 9/11. The same is true when talking about a faith such as paganism, fundies especially looking at our beliefs and practices and deeming them the work of the devil. They are blinded by their own biases and ignorance and let it determine how they interact with others. This same ignorance is apparent in secular society when you have a faith that is generally misunderstood and misrepresented in America. So while it may be tempting not to, try to be as positive as you can maintain, that way you and others around you get a positive impression of you in a secular and religious sense. Hard it is, bit try you must.

It can be especially hard if you have people in your family who are fundies, while I haven't gone through that experience, I can only imagine how hurtful it can be. Felling as if you have to hide your identity, be faced with isolation or outrightly being disowned by them. I can only guess if this is the prime reason why some within our ranks have a searing hate for Christians and the faith itself. You can't blame them, even if it isn't conducive to bring the better men and women of the bunch. My own experience revolves around the aftermath of my own mother discovering that I 'secretly' left Christianity for atheism, then agnosticism, then into Wicca. Having to deal with the constant room searches, confiscation of religious materials, and near endless insults to my faith and gods led to me outrightly hating Christianity and her specifically.

As with everything I've been forced into, I dealt with it, though my knives against Christianity are still there, hidden. The best thing you can do is have hope in yourself as well as in your family. Mine eventually calmed down, partly due to constantly being reminded of it when they see me and me not caring what was thought of me when I started wearing my spiritually themed necklaces. Other parent(s) may not require this degree of I-don't-give-a-fuckedness, but it depends on your degree of bravery and how you know your parents to be. Sometimes love is the best option, to always kill then with kindness in the face of their cruelty. In my case I didn't give a damn what she (my mother) thought about me since we have a near nonexistent relationship.

Fundies can be fun, sometimes they can be very destructive to your own self confidence, but in the end do what makes you happy. Always have a positive outlook and always be true to yourself no matter who may be on the other end trying to push you to leave your faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment