Sunday, December 8, 2013

Pagan Pride At Work

So after a particularly stressful day at work and needing a bit of relief I reached for my pentagram pendent and rubbed it so I didn't go all bat-shit crazy on some associates I work with. It took the whole day, but eventually I was able to keep it together and continue my "accident" free streak of not bugging out. After that whole situation of needing some Pagan prayer the thought of wearing my pentagram publically came to thought. Of course it is something that I normally prefer not doing for the simple fact that I don't like getting strange looks from people or questions from people that deter from me actually doing my work. After that personal nightmare though I found myself routinely looking at the mirror trying to see how I would look wearing it. Afterall, once I walk out of the job I throw it out of my shirt and wear it proudly, so why would I or should I care what others within the store think? I've encountered ignorance sparsely throughout my tenure as a nature spiritualist, showing pride if nothing else would enhance my work ethic and skill since I would always be reminded of my vows upon my conversion only months before.

I understand that there's a time and place for everything, but let's be honest that displays of faith are plastered across the work world in varying concentration depending on the person. If I wanted to no one could stop me since its a constitutional right and the fact that they're plenty of others who display their faith despite the probability of encountering ignorance. At the end of it it's all a matter of personal preference, but I have to consider what may happen if the bullshit gets started with customers or other associates. I could do the easy thing and file a complaint and if things go straight to hell contact my local news agency which will go all out against the store if they go all shitty to them, though knowing the leadership of the store that'll most likely not happen. I always have options, I just need to decide if I want to act or not. Acting means I'm being true to myself on a secular and religious basis and can do my job with a clearer conscious. Not doing it means always remember to hide an important aspect of myself, saving face for the sake of those who may be ignorant...

Lets also not forget the outreach that can be done if I decided to wear it, bringing the face of diversity to a business that could use it. From an educational perspective it could be great because then its like I'm being a 24/7 representative of my faith as well, normalizing it to dispell misplaced fears against it. I wonder how many minority faith adherents considered this very thing when they were first getting off the ground. I may very well not do it, its such a simple act but could have unforeseen ramifications. .decisions decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment