Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A New Pagan Name?

In exactly two weeks I will have gone from an ex-Wiccan dedicant to a fully realized self initiated Pagan practitioner. With it I would like to do as I did when I became Wiccan and change my name. Though I already have one, its reflective of my old life in a past faith, something that I grew out of as time wore on. Now I want a new identity, something that will show a new me, but what?

I haven't been thinking too long about what the new name should be though I have been thinking about the topic of name changing for quite a while now. I want my name to mean something, to be slightly dramatic but not over the top, something to speak in front of the Gods.

There are a lot in the pagan field who believe that the religious name one bestows to oneself shouldn't be revealed or given to another for various reasons. For some its do you aren't cursed, to respect the privacy between you and your Gods, etcetera etcetera.

Once I'm able to come up with a good name it will remain private so that it stays between me and Deity, though the last name, DeShadara, will remain the same. That's simply because of me saying it so many times that its become more of a first name than anything else, so it will stay.

Thankfully I have fourteen days to figure out a good name so here's hoping I can make one in time!

Then again, its not a mandated thing, I can go without a religious name and go as I choose to call myself at the time. I do favor decentralizing my practices so that it doesn't become my own religious dogma, but if it helps to give myself an added layer of identity then I don't see why not.

This is something I should definitely ponder for a while, for now I will rest in the fury of my own thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment