Monday, September 23, 2013

Relationships and Faith

Interfaith dating is such a thorny subject, filled with a plethora of conditions, circumstantials, debate, worry and all that cheese, so is it worth it?

There are plenty on both sides that have their own testimonials on how delightful or terrible it is, so who's right?

To be honest, I believe that it depends on the couple since things as important as faith can better both involved or it could knock the couple sideways. Many know of the first hurtle that can come up when things go bad, one or both people involved believing that they eventually make the other convert.

That one issue is the most significant pain in the ass in my mind because it reeks of distrust and being shady. Limiting your actions and interactions to try and outrightly force or slightly edge another away from the beliefs that they may hold near and dear to them.

That was the prime issue that held me back from doing an interfaith relationship, worry that my partner may be a bible-thumper in disguise since he long knew of my Pagan status. Eventually I got over it since my resolution was to leave him if he ever tried to hit me with an ultamatum down the road. I trust him, but you never know 100%

So with all of this talk of being weary, do you think you should commit to an interfaith relationship? To be honest, my belief is that if you think its right for you then jump.

The key to any good relationship is to have good communication, if the both (or whatever the number may be) of you don't talk about the topic of faith beforehand,  then you could very well be setting yourself up for heart ache.

I would even go a step further, if it were me, to try and guage whether the person(s) I'm trying to date have a strong bond with their parents. Many people do, I recall a time where a girl who I liked had no issue with my faith, yet when her religious parents found out barred her from seeing me. It sucked, but eventually she stood for herself and gave them her ass to kiss.

If you know the person has strong ties with their parents, it may be a good idea to either be honest and let then know if they don't already, or form a good relationship with them beforehand.

Such wonder can be found in interfaith dating, for one you expand your awareness of other cultures and traditions, which can further your own practices and faith dedication. You can gain deep insight by revealing and being shown something that may be intensely private, which of course cements the relationship and the love you share.

At first it may be daunting, imagine going to a mosque, church, temple, or ritual space for the first time!

Though I would personally feel a bit nervous of such a prospect, if someone thinks of you in such a way to invite you to a religious event of theirs, take it. If you're not yet ready then speak up, don't do anything you're uncomfortable with.

I could go on and on, but in the end the decision is up to you, don't go in the situation with a negative frame of thought, that only poisons the well you're about to drink out of. Instead, keep an open mind and heart, that way you set the stage for great blessings you both can enjoy.

With communication, love, and honesty, any people of any faith can have long lasting bonds and love, don't limit yourself to any one person or faith tradition, you only do yourself a disservice.

No comments:

Post a Comment