Monday, September 23, 2013

Mabon Ritual

I hope everyone had a good Mabon celebration! I know I did,  and goodness was it tiring!

This was my very first public ritual, doing it in full view of the city as they hustled and bustled to and from work. Surprisingly nothing happened as I performed it, which was excellent since my intention was not to cause trouble but raise awareness.

In my own little way, by me doing this ritual in full light of day people walking and driving by would be able to see a religious practice alien to their own. By that, they become aware that the comfy little city they call home hosts those who belong to different traditions. Its not direct, but it does show the diversity of faiths instead of a homogeneous blob they may very well be used too.

But there was another reason for this ritual, and that was to prove to myself that I would be willing to celebrate my faith no matter the circumstances. With my Day of Conversion coming up, I wanted to make sure that I was able to walk the talk of bravery and resilience despite the pressures.

For some reason the memory of the cleansing sticks to my mind. It was quite dramatic, the wind blowing through the park, swirling clouds of smoke all around as I waved the sage around, calling the aspects if Divinity to guide me.

The smoky cloud traveling all down the roads to tell of ritual, a sacred act occurring yards away from them to celebrate the coming of Autumn.

The smell is still clings to my fingers as I type, even after washing my hands to try and remove its scent.

I hope the wildlife take advantage of the piles of peanuts I left all around the lake for them to eat.

Anyway, for now I sleep. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment