Monday, September 30, 2013

Paganism and Death

Death is not the enemy, Death is a friend. People and faiths all around the world act as if it is something to be avoided, to be hated, but through the pain it causes there is a blessing, a gift that could not be attained by any other means.

It is the great equalizer, a force that takes all things and is a blind smiter, ignorant of color, religion, money, nationality or social standing. It is feared because it can come at any time for any reason and cannot be fully controlled. With our laws and treaties we stop one another from bringing death and harm to each other. Death is not so timid, coming with the strength of a hurricane, the devastation of a bomb to cover borders far and wide.

Everyone has a place they would like to go when they die, a place of peace is what's generally considered, where death is nonexistent and joy is full and reigns supreme. My personal belief goes counter to all of this because I see all of these heavens as simple wishful thinking. We have no idea of what happens when we die beyond us going into the ground, because of this I just incorporate that into my faith. As we are embraced by the numb grip of the earth, our minds as well as our body are taken; the spiritual (mental) death and the physical (bodily) death comes and we are gone.

We may be gone from this world, but as our cells and energy are broken down into the earth we come back as part of the driving force behind the clouds, animals and food that helps give rise to another life. In this sense we are all living embodiments of our ancestors, everything that we touch and will ever touch will be made out of some of their energy. When I look in the mirror I need not cry, I see my grandmother, my ancestors, everyone who has ever existed before me in me.

My personal faith and outlook towards death is very centered in doing things naturally as well. Once I figured out the process of embalming I was mortified. Why in the world would I allow my body to be returned to the earth full of poisons and preservatives? Each person has their own beliefs and desires, but for me, it equates to desecrating a gift given to me. I understand the impact that it could have as people who care for me get their last view of me, but I couldn't allow for such a thing.

If I were to die right now I'd rather a natural one without the poisons and sadness. What a great occasion it would be for me to return to my home! To go back to the reservoir that brought the whole of the land into existence. I want oils, flowers, torches, I want my burial to be a ritual in itself as my lifeless body goes to be used for another purpose. People will miss me, but I am happy to think of the day where I cross into the unseen world, back into the ether.

Odd isn't it? A young twenty year old thinking about what will happen when he dies, without a care in the world? It may seem idiotic, but death is the ultimate end and start, the very foundation of life. Why fear something that grants so much life? The soil, oil, and trees themselves depend on the breaking down of dead and dying matter to survive. Without death there would be no life.

No comments:

Post a Comment